ABOUT Metropolitan Bartending School
At Metropolitan we believe that the best way to learn is by getting hands-on behind the bar. While our courses do involve some theory, these sections are short and media heavy. These lessons are designed to be entertaining and informative.
The vast majority of your time with us will be spent behind the bar, pouring drinks and dealing with customers. By the time you graduate from Metropolitan Langley you will have worked through almost every possible scenario, dealing with different types of customer and their various requests and made hundreds of different drinks.
We will begin your learning experience by introducing you to all the equipment you will need. We will then guide you through making your first drink. By the time you graduate you will be able to confidently interact with the customer, take a 5 drink order, upsell premium brands, run an order through the computer, print a bill, serve your customers and give the correct change all in under 3 minutes.
In under 20 hours of class time we will transform you from interested novice into professional bartender. This is the only bartending course you will ever need to take.
What else sets Metropolitan Bartending School apart?
- We give you more hands on experience than any other school in Langley. Despite the emphasis on the practical this is not an “accelerated” or “condensed” course. We teach you the basics but it takes time and dedication to master the art.
- If you choose to learn with us you will be able to access the best facilities in Langley. As well as modern bars we offer POS computer systems, flatscreens and up to date product selection.
- Our class sizes are small. This means that our instructors can focus on their pupil’s individual needs, allowing you to get the most from your time with us.
- We are the only school who will offer you post graduate support to ensure that you can find the job you want. This includes access to our job board, as well as 1 on 1 coaching and advice with your instructor.
- The Metropolitan Guarantee: Once you begin the Bartender Certified course you can come back anytime for free, for life. If you feel you need to refresh your skills you can come back. If life gets in the way of your learning and you have to drop out you can come back whenever you want. It doesn’t matter if it is 5 weeks, 5 months or 50 years later. Anytime, for free. That is our guarantee.
Upon completing the Bartender Certification course you will be able to choose from a range of topics and seminars. This will allow you to develop your skills or maybe learn new ones. From Flair Bartending to Wine Tasting we are the only school that offers specialized training in these areas.
Metropolitan Bartending School History
Founded in 1995, Metropolitan Bartending School was created when local restaurant owner, Matt Thompson, found himself struggling to find enough well trained bartenders to work at his restaurants. Matt realised that the existing bartending schools were not adapting to the evolving needs of the hospitality industry. They focused far too heavily on recreating classic cocktail recipes. This meant that their students did not learn how to make or create newer drinks. Nor did they learn how to handle real world scenarios like upselling, dealing with problem customers and using computer order systems.
Determined to address this problem Matt opened Metropolitan Bartending School. For the last 23 years Metropolitan has produced a steady stream of confident and skilled bartenders who are well equipped to thrive in the hospitality industry. Our graduates have helped to raise the quality of bartending not only in Calgary, Vancouver and Langley but all over Canada and beyond.